Friday, October 7, 2011

National Sober Day

The Government has proposed a National Day of Sobriety in the country to promote healthy living, a positive image and the inclusion of those in society who do not drink. Here are a few of the letters to our desk about the proposal.


Dear Oak Court Times Editor,

I'm writing to you in absolute horror at the new proposal from the Government. One day of sobriety is simply too long.

I think an hour or maybe two would be grand and would send a clear message to the world that we can stay off the drink for a while. But 24 hours...all in a row? This is madness.

Regards
Pat, Longford


Dear Editor,
I've heard it all now. Talk about a nanny state. This recession is too bad to ask people not to drink for a day. In fact, if it wasn't for those bloody bankers, we wouldn't be drinking at all. But seeing as they brought this upon us, we may as well. I propose a National Day of Drinking. It'll help us all cope a bit better.
Regards
Tim, Tinahealy


A chara,
If the transitional government of the 26 counties forces this 'national' day of sobriety on our people, I can assure you it will be met with fierce drinking by your brothers and sisters in the North.
Le meas
P


Praise allah
I am recommend to the Irish people the not drinking. You must drink minty tea with pooh pooh in it and smoke a gas from a big hose.
Mohammed Owairan, Saudi Arabia


Dear Editor
National Sobriety Day? This is a very dangerous idea.

If Irish people become sober enough - and it may happen over the course of a full day - to realise the state of the country, then we would be shocked to death.

I would predict the onslaught of heart atttacks throughout the country. On health grounds, for God's sake, no national day of sobriety.
Your etc
Dr James Hamilton, Leitrim

Dear Sir,
I note the proposal to hold a National Day of Sobriety. We welcome the general well-meaning principle behind the proposal.

However, we would recommend a different approach. We would urge people to attempt to remain sober while drinking. This is sure to add a happy dimension to the day without losing the original intention.

We also propose the day, in this case, should be increased by a week.
Regards,
Tom Joyce, Diageo (Promotions Section)

No comments:

Post a Comment